Lining Paper vs Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had the whole house stripped and lined, and at the same time a new kitchen was installed along with skimmed walls. Have to say that the decorator has done a superb job on the rest of the house. There are some very minor defects but these can only be seen with varying light. To me the kitchen doesn't look any different to the lined walls (before you say the plasterer has done a superb job as well). Which got me thinking, why would you pay the extra for skimmed walls when the finish (if the job has been completed by a professional) from lining paper is just as good. I understand that some people do not like the textured finish you get with lining paper but you'd have to look pretty close to come to this conclusion

Sponsored Links
Dulux said:
why would you pay the extra for skimmed walls when the finish (if the job has been completed by a professional) from lining paper is just as good.

Its not as cut and dried as that.

You try lining over kr@ppy walls, with lumps and bumps, indents, gouges, crackes etc, and it would look awful.
Plastering is better when the walls are awful, and you could spend days filling and prepping just to get them ready for lining.

Lining is good for walls that are not good enough to paint straight on, so you would still have to do some prep.

if your skimmed walls dont look much different to the lines walls in appearance, then it could have been he used a lighter grade of lining paper, 1000 for example.

Experienced or Pro-Decorators can make Lining Paper look **** hot.

Lining paper is nothing more than painted wallpaper. It looks awful around windows and lumpy walls. Plaster every time.

Sponsored Links
I agree, it doesnt look nice over lumpy walls, but if hung right, it looks good round windows. :D

I've just had a damp proof course done and so up to about 50cm-1m is new plaster/plasterboard. As I want to put lining paper on the rest of these walls, will I need to line all the way down to the skirting board (and over the new plaster) or can I just line the walls down to where the new plaster starts? (ie, will it be noticeable if the whole wall isn't lined, will there be an obvious line/bump?).

Also, any good tips for hanging lining paper - I heard that to make it look professional some people lay filler inbetween the paper then sand down etc? :D

carlmc25 said:
I've just had a damp proof course done and so up to about 50cm-1m is new plaster/plasterboard. As I want to put lining paper on the rest of these walls, will I need to line all the way down to the skirting board (and over the new plaster) or can I just line the walls down to where the new plaster starts? (ie, will it be noticeable if the whole wall isn't lined, will there be an obvious line/bump?).

Also, any good tips for hanging lining paper - I heard that to make it look professional some people lay filler inbetween the paper then sand down etc? :D

You shouldn't need to fill the gaps. Any decorator worth his salt would let the paint fill the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back