Caulking before or after lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I'm in the process of stripping off some awful textured paper from our living room. I've never decorated before so learning as I go.

Plan is to put up thick lining paper after filling and sealing the walls, and then painting the room.

I think I need to caulk where the walls meet the (artex) ceiling and possibly at the skirting board as well, as the joins are quite dodgy looking.

My question is, should i do this caulking before or after the lining paper? I can think of logical reasons for either option (making the edges crisp for better lining paper application vs sealing the ends of lining paper for better paint finish).

Any tips welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Methinks that If you do it before, you will have problems in getting the lining paper to stick on it.

Ah ok, I assumed it would stick. After lining it is then! Thank folks :)

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to apply a coat of paint to the paper before caulking. If you don't paint first it will be more difficult to smoothen out the caulk because the paper will be sucking the water out of the caulk.

Don't forget to apply a coat of paint to the paper before caulking. If you don't paint first it will be more difficult to smoothen out the caulk because the paper will be sucking the water out of the caulk.
Brilliant tip - thanks for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back