Lining Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

In a bedroom which is to be decorated, the old wallpaper has been stripped off leaving generally sound but quite uneven walls some of which have remnants of paintwork.

Lining paper appears to be the appropriate way forward here, however the walls' surfaces are uneven and the few pieces iof lining paper I have afixed so far do not smooth out very well leaving lots of ridges and bumps (and air bumps or paste bumps) in the paper which won't budge.

Whilst my lining paper skills are novice, there does appear to be an excessive amount of bumps in the lining paper so far.

I wondered if lining paper is always to be expected to be nearly totally smooth once in place, and if not then what other approach should be taken to preparing these walls for decoration.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
If you are a builder - then skim it.

If you are a builder - then skim it.

Bit harsh!

You should ensure that the wall is a smooth as possible. A lot of people think that just putting lining paper over badly prepped walls will smooth them out, this is not the case! Also make sure the walls have been sized accordingly.

First question that should be asked is what grade of paper you hung?

You only need to size or prime with paint bare patches and filler, its absolutely pointless sizing paint!

If you have the skill it would be better to skim.

Elrobbo is right on one point though that LP isn't a magic cure, you still need to fill etc, the higher the grade of paper the more it will hide minor imperfections but will never hide all the lumps and bumps.

A good alternative is to use toupret tx130, drawback will be dust but you could tape a sander to a vacuum/extractor or tape up doors etc, it will give you super smooth walls

Sponsored Links
Another possibility to hide the bad wall is to use "wallrock thermal liner"
It will hide imperfections that lining paper alone won't hide.

It is an expensive way to go though, you need not only to buy the paper (about £50 a roll) but also the adhesive (£30 a tub). Gets expensive.
Can get it from B+Q and i've also seen toolstation doing it (cheaper?), or internet search.

But the thermal liner, then a layer of lining paper(optional) does do the job. (provided the wall isn't too far gone).
Haven't seen your walls so can't say that it will definitely work for you.

The re-skim may work out cheaper.
If its an outside wall the paper may help thermally.

You only need to size or prime with paint bare patches and filler, its absolutely pointless sizing paint!
Quite agree!
Builder2011 said:
In a bedroom which is to be decorated, the old wallpaper has been stripped off leaving generally sound but quite uneven walls some of which have remnants of paintwork.
Not alot of paint left on wall i.e remnants.
vobrobullit407 said:
Also make sure the walls have been sized accordingly.
As said, size accordingly! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back