Lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening :)

I've taken old wallpaper off and behind the plaster has a sandpaper texture . I don't have the budget to reskim. I'm thinking to give the walls a bit of a sanding and then to use 1400 grade lining paper. Will this smooth out the surface or will the texture come through?
Also, would I need to seal the surface before papering? Watererd down pva? Or a covering of wallpaper paste?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should be fine. I’ve gotten away with worse. Make sure you soak the paper well. If previously papered, it won’t need sizing/sealing.

Should be fine. I’ve gotten away with worse. Make sure you soak the paper well. If previously papered, it won’t need sizing/sealing.
Thank you. Did you use 1400 grade? I heard there is 2000 grade but the paper is so thick and can make the joins very visible

Thank you. Did you use 1400 grade? I heard there is 2000 grade but the paper is so thick and can make the joins very visible
I think I used 1200. I did use 2000 grade once but it was like cardboard! I took my time with the joins and filled/sanded any gaps because I was just painting them. It will sometimes bubble up when you paint over them but they soon flatten down when they dry.

Sponsored Links
I think I used 1200. I did use 2000 grade once but it was like cardboard! I took my time with the joins and filled/sanded any gaps because I was just painting them. It will sometimes bubble up when you paint over them but they soon flatten down when they dry.
Ok thanks. I will give it a try!

Might be a bit late but, hang the lining paper horizontally to prevent the top paper edges falling in line with the lining paper edges.
Try to butt the edges up close. It won't matter if there is a 1mm gap but if the gap is larger, you may need a bit of filler, sanded down smooth.

Might be a bit late but, hang the lining paper horizontally to prevent the top paper edges falling in line with the lining paper edges.
I always hang mine vertically. A decorater mate of mine told me there’s a difference in the widths of wallpaper and lining paper specifically to prevent the joins ending up meeting in the same place. I checked it once and the lining paper was wider. Or was it the wallpaper? Anyway, one of them is bigger than the other.

Try to butt the edges up close. It won't matter if there is a 1mm gap but if the gap is larger, you may need a bit of filler, sanded down smooth.
Thanks Conny. I plan to paint the lining paper.

I always hang mine vertically. A decorater mate of mine told me there’s a difference in the widths of wallpaper and lining paper specifically to prevent the joins ending up meeting in the same place. I checked it once and the lining paper was wider. Or was it the wallpaper? Anyway, one of them is bigger than the other.
Lining is slightly wider, (or it was many years ago when I last used it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back