link wire using a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

After reading some posts i have changed my post.

What i want to know is when using a link wire on a two gang switch does it matter whether you link comm to comm or comm to b1 etc?

on my new switch is is not lablel comm and a1 etc it is labled live and netrual (i think) so i just need to know how to use my link wire correctly

Thanks

Alan (electrical beginner)

Sponsored Links
if you take a look in the faq section at the top of the page there are some good diagrams there for switches,the cables you are describing as neutrals will be switched lives,neutrals are not usually present at switches,not really sure about the link you describe,usually it is a live feed to the second switch
what lights are the 2 switches controlling?

doesnt really matter but its good practice to leave the feed in common,thats if its a normal switch,not sure what you have

Sponsored Links
i am replacing a normal switch with a dimmer switch.

The normal one currently has a link wire between comm and b1.

i'm assuming this is linking the live from switch one to switch two.

but should the link wire really be comm to comm or is it ok to be comm to b1?

Ideally it should be 'com' to 'com', but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back