Lintel into 100 mm brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to install a 3m load bearing lintel for a 2.7 opening, one end will have plenty of bearing but I want to fit the other end into a cavity wall which will only give me 100mm, what is the best way to do this? Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
100mm baring is fine as long as you have a suitable padstone or material for baring the lintel. Is a structural engineer involved? I’d expect them to spec it

I don't think it was a joke, better to do that than start chopping 50mm off the end?

Is it an off the shelf lintel? As above you would need a structural engineer if you're using it outside the data sheet, unless you can get the manufacturer to do the design for you based on your own analysis.

Main thing non structurally speaking is don't go bridging your cavity, the end of the beam should be on the warm side of the cavity insulation.

Hello Derek, I assume that’s an attempt at humour, sorry but not very helpful but if you have nothing better to do then so be it
Not really, just simple maths, your lintel is 3m long, you want to have 100mm at one end so the other end has to be 200. Of course it is possible that your question was trying to raise concerns about having only a 100 wall wall to bear on to, if so it was badly put. Then again, you may be asking how to do the work, as stated the question is badly worded and I assume you may be Albanian ( that is my attempt at humour)

I'd check with an engineer - most lintel manufacturers have a technical help.

The thin gauge steel lintels have some help from brickwork arching and manufacturers require the 150mm bearing + sufficient masonry on either side to ensure they reach their full load bearing capacity. If you've not got the 150mm and it's straight onto a perpendicular wall then you will need to check the lintel is strong/stiff enough for that application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back