lintel spec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to create a ground floor new window opening on the side elevation of a end terraced standard 2 storey house. there are no further windows above the proposed opening. The floor joists of all floors bear into the adjacent walls. the proposed wall is a gable wall which the roof apex and purlins also bear into.

the lintel will be an 1800mm catnic type. the double skin cavity wall load triangle above the lintel including live loads, is rounded up is circa 6.4Kn.

one end of the lintel will be 800mm away from the corner of the house and immediately around that corner is a patio door whose lintel is 450mm from that same corner.

Does the load increase significantly because of this corner loading from 2 lintels? if so to what sort of load does it increase?

I wanted to use a standard load lintel with UDL of 12Kn so there is some capacity in the lintel and could obviously move up the lintel spec but I don't really want to do this as the space for a taller lintel isn't really available after the wall has been propped.

and yes BC will be informed but I'd rather not shell out £200 to find out at the outset that it can't be done.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Call Catnic.. they can spec a lintel to your needs..

Oh and the loading from the opening round the corner shouldn't influence your lintel design, only stuff really above it will effect it..

Have you got planning permission sorted?

hey thanks for that. Catnic very helpful!

I emailed my drawings and they got back to me confirming the standard lintel is fine for the job. They also confirmed what you said that the corner loading has little effect on the load numbers.

I don't think I need planning permission as per

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/doorswindows

and also confirmed with Local Authority on the phone.

cheers for your help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back