lintel not fitted above back door from kitchen ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My back door has been made wider at some unknown point in the past. It now has a conservatory type double door. Its possible to see where the wall has been cut and re cemented around the right of the new door the other half looks untouched. Now if a new lintel had been fitted the whole of the top above the door would have been redone ??

How do I know if there has been a lintel fitted or not

If not can I claim back the cost of putting right on my insurance.

Is the surveyor too blame as he should have seen this when we bought the place

What will my mortgage people do if they find out bits of my bathroom may drop into my kitchen ?

My bathroom window is above the door, so reducing the load I hope.
But there is now a crack in the wall leading up from above the corner of the door. I don't know how long its been there for. I been here for 2 years?

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received :eek:
Thank you

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find that it has got a hidden lintel assuming that the wall has a cavity. Best way to check is to get a masonry bit about a foot long 6mm and drill from the outside in one of the vertical mortar joints. If you hit something solid that you can't get past then that will be the lintel. If you keep going past about 6 inches then the odds are that there isn't one.

How far over the supporting wall on both side should the lintel be?
I guess I will need to drill in the new cut out corner.
There is a hole about 8 inches above door at this point because that's what started this a wall plug fell out, and there's a hole behind it and a crack through it to corner? I can't see how big or deep it is and didn't want to make it any bigger.
I could put a bit of wire in it & see how for it goes :D
I'll do that when I get home. bit late for drilling, will wait untill tomorrow.

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back