lintel above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a window replaced on the ground floor with french doors size 3050mm x 2100mm. Apparently no lintel was found?
Now wish to have window above replaced with inward french doors so wall has to be removed with window above and lintel and french doors put in place

Seem to be getting conflicting information as to what lintel should be put in
current window above which is to be removed is 1900w and has a lintel above

standard cavity wall construction

51 courses of bricks above lower french doors

How is best to put lintel in now before window above is removed and
french doors put in place with Juliet balcony?

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that you are installing a set of french doors (1st floor), directly above the recently installed set of french doors on the ground floor?

If this is the case then there may be structural implications to consider, i.e. structural engineer territory.

For the most part, a standard pressed steel lintel will deal with domestic loads whilst using 150mm end bearings. On higher loads then heavy duty pressed steel lintels will cope with much of the heavier stuff, using 200mm end bearings.

Yes that is exactly what I want to do and I have been recommended to fit a heavy duty lintel for the outer wall only not the inner cavity wall?

The inner wall will have a lintel there already, usually a cast-in-situ concrete fella. Big 'n' heavy.

Sponsored Links
3m span opening and no lintel? It will end in tears :eek:
Try not the slam the doors

If the current window has a lintel, then why does it need replacing?

IN any case, if the first floor window head is near the soffit, then you normally don't need an external lintel

And your french doors at first floor, and the juliet balcony most likley requires planning permission. Unless you can't see your neighbours, then there is normally an overlooking issue which planners don't like

Yes no lintel above 3m window but no cracking or movement either
strange? Original above the window was a flat roof which was built upon but no lintel put in?

The window above has a lintel
I hope you are right about the concrete lintel on the inner wall?

No planning permission required I checked and no view of neighbours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back