help with lintel size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am wanting to remove an existing window to install french doors...the lintel needs to be replaced as it is not wide enough...i will be increasing from 1.2 mtr to 1.8 mtr....the wall above the lintel is approx 0.5 cubic mtr ( 1.2m x 1.8m x 200mm ) and is constructed of no fines poured concrete..
is anyone able to advise the size of lintel i would require please ( or 2 side by side lintels )
many thanks
nige

Sponsored Links
Replacing lintels is structural work and will therefore need building regulations. Building control will no doubt want a copy of the structural engineer's notes on the lintel spec.

the load will be greater especially if there are openings above the window so that the load diagram is re assessed taking any extra second floor loading, and the resultant bending moments, deflection, shears and thus bearing points design will need to be calculated so that a structural member, or an off the shelf suitable lintel can be fitted
its a straightforward job for a structural engineer to do...and being certified will satisfy the building control that all aspects of load shedding have been looked at and insurable and in your buyers pack

cheers
geof
PS IS THIS A QUERY?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back