New Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a little advice please.
I'm replacing an existing window on the back wall of my house with a set of 5ft french doors. The original window is just over 3ft in width. The lintel in place at the moment is a K9. I was hoping to just place a robslee type c lintel below it ( size 100 x 145 x 1800 ) as the new doors are small enough in height to accomadate placing the lintel below the existing 1. So after explaining all that my question is.... Is there any problem for not being able to add the lintel below instead of having to replace the K9 ones already insitue?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I doubt the Building Inspector will accept that ---- I assume you did realise it’s notifyable work? The lintel, it’s end bearing, minimum distance from any adjacent wall & method of closing the cavity will need inspection to get a compliance certificate; & if your DIY fitting the doors, they will want to inspect those as well!

I had to rip out the old cast-in-situ concrete lintels on my 60's property when I did this & install new steel Catnics; the BI had a good look at it all but I didn’t need to supply any calcs. which they can/will ask for in certain circumstances.

A brickie who is a mate said that if there was enough clearance from the bottom of the lintel to the floor that there shouldnt be a problem placing a new lintel below the old one, but i'll check with the local building control officer for clarification.
Thanks for the reply.

Typical head height for an external doorframe is 2110, so if you can get this then you can put the lintel below the existing.

If you can't get close to this height, then you are into practicalities of bumping your head, so its not really acceptable to go lower with the lintel and BCO will likely refuse it and require the lintel to do in at a 'standard' height

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody, the height of the doors ( including frame ) is 2090, which i think seems to be the standard height for french doors, and by good luck or chance there is enough room to fit them, including leaving a 10mm gap.
So hopefully all will go well and i will earn some extra brownie points from the wife :LOL:

Just a quick update, put the plans in for a building warrant to fit the doors by leaving the old K9 lintel in place and putting a robslee type c lintel below it. Was a bit worried in case they refused it, BUT, in less than 7 days had the plans returned to myself all approved so all is good in the world after all :D .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back