Location of extractor fan switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having recessed downlights (x3) fitted along with a shower extractor fan with a light built in. All to be controlled by a PIR.

The extractor is an inline model. It's a ground floor bathroom and the ducting will route approx 500mm before going through an external wall and into a garage. The fan will be fitted in the garage and ducted through the roof using a suitable vent tile. Not ideal but it's the best solution for future access. The total length of ducting will be approx 2.5m.

I understand I need a 3 pole switch for the fan. As the fan itself will be mounted outside the bathroom do I need to put the switch near the bathroom or can it be positioned next to the fan in the garage?

TIA, J

Sponsored Links
The main purpose of the isolator is to ensure safety of people working on the fan, Therefore it should be in view of the person working on the fan,

The fan in the garage is a good way to keep the noise of the fan out of the house. A condensation trap should be fitted to prevent condensation running back down from the vent into the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back