Locking a double slider PVC patio door set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked in the archive and can't this problem covered. I have bought a new flat with double slider doors but the espagnolette locks do not themselves lock with a key.

So how can I secure these doors from inside please? I appreciate that I can use the old broom handle in the track trick for the inner door, but that leaves the outer door insecure.

A good locksmith I know can only recommend a small press bolt. One to anchor on the floor and lintel to secure the inner door, then another bolt screwed to the plastic frame at the rear edge of the inner door and passing into the farme of the outer slide. Hmm...........4 screws direct into pvc. Not sure about that.

So is there an off-the-shelf answer please?
TIA
Cheers
Mish

Sponsored Links
Thanks JD in para 3 I did mention plastic frame !

They are PVCu 100% which is my worry for screwing into them. TIA

mish

Sponsored Links
Thanks HH.

This shows both doors closed with an indication of the dimensions of the frame, tghe doors outside and the threshold with one of the espag sockets HTH
mish

Oh !

I have uploaded 3 pics to album "mish's stuff"

Can you access that or how do I get those pics on a forum posting ?

mish

Right, I see you can access the album by going to my profile - is that how its done?

Pictures are all there though.

mish

The mechanism isn't shown on the uploaded pics, but looking at the frame strike that is pictured (roller keep) - it's not going to be a high security model. The doors look more like room dividers than external doors. Are there handles on both the inside and outside ?.

Thanks HH, so you have seen my doubts.

There is only a handle on the inside on each, not on the outside, and they are somewhat hefty to have been intended as a room divider. I am sure they are made as outer doors. The lock is a multipoint type, just a shame that the mechanism cannot be locked. Hence my search for an additional lock.

Mish

2 more on there now but regrettably not really what you want to see. And I think you might see that its not exactly close enough for me to nip out and take some more ! - sorry.

mish

The builder is probably relying on no-one being stupid enough to climb onto the balcony, and reduced the security provided on the doors. If the doors can only be opened from the inside, then it would need to be a forced entry - and no matter what you do to beef up the security, someone that intent on getting in - will.

Options
- fit the bolts as suggested by your friend.
- completely replace the mechanism with a Euro cylinder driven model. This will require work to the frame and door to accept it, anlong with a new mechanism, euro cylinder and handles - not a cheap option.
- fit a retractable grill over the door (slides to one side when not required).
- fit a patio door locking bar (google this). This is basically a fancy version of your broom, but it locks into position.

HTH.

Thanks HH

The potential problem comes from some long term tenants. Some of the owners are letting out their flats to students. They are well heeled students - but not to be trusted thanks to their reputation locally. There is space at the top of the dividing walls for someone to climb over.

I understand about major alteration to the locking mechanism but I would need to think about that long and hard. Its going to be a lot to do and then I have to get the right parts in UK to then take out with no going back to the supplier for odd extra bits to finish the job etc.

I have seen the locking bar, but it only obviously locks the inner door. If put on the outer slider it is easily dismantled/hacksawed.

I will buy some conventional patio door locks pro tem, say screwfix 13541-96.

Thanks for your suggestions.

mish

As you can see, these are new doors in a new flat. So I am not about to replace them. Its secure locking of the existing doors that I seek.

mish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back