Improving security on sliding patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any suggestions on improving security on sliding patio doors (double glazed, UPVC)?
Unfortunately the door is used as the main entry / exit for the house so internal locks / bolts or the old 'dowel in the track' trick are no good...

Sponsored Links
you have managed to have an installation where the Final Exit Door does not/cannot have a lock conforming to the British Standard? Will your insurance co pay out if you get burgled?

:(

Have a think about using one of your other doors. Presumably when the house was built it had a front door?

If you post some pics of your plastic patio doors someone may have a more helpful idea.

Thanks for the reply.

The existing door does have a lock on it which seems serves its purpose (if slightly flimsy) - I would just see this as the weakest entry point to the house and was looking to bolster it with additional security.

We do have a front door but as a mid terrace with no parking space at the front we tend to park at the lower level at the back, and its not too practical / convenient to walk all the way around the block to the front door.

I might try to post some pics when I'm next at home and it's light enough to take some lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back