Adding lock to sliding patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Been in our house for about 6 months, and it was broken in to on the weekend while we were away. Not much was taken but it's obviously given the much needed kick up the backside to improve security around the house.

The one issue I have at the moment is the sliding patio door at the rear of the house in the conservatory. This door is alumunium, pretty old and the existing lock is not that secure. The previous owners use a wooden plank on the inside along the track to stop the door from sliding as an additional stopper, but I wanted to add another one or two locks onto the door.

I've purchased the following patio locks from screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/p/patio-door-lock-white/13541), but the instructions provided are not that clear at all (poor image, broken english). I've found the intructions for a similar style lock from Yale, and they do make a bit more sense but I still don't have any better idea on the best way to place them.

http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/ProductsDB/?groupId=4343&productId=59262

I've added an image of the lock on the floor next to the door, can someone give any tips on the best way to fix them? The lock also comes with a bracket that can be used instead of the grommet for the hole the bolt will go into, but again not sure how best to use it.

View media item 85637
My initial view was that i might need to attach the lock to either the wall or floor (with maybe a bit of wood to get the height right), with the bolt then going into the door when the lock is engaged. Does that sound right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

desig

Sponsored Links
The main purpose of those locks is to prevent the door being lifted off the runner to gain entry. Therefore you need to find a sturdy location such that they would hinder any such attempts.

I fitted the same type of locks many years ago but have a substantial timber frame which I secured the locks onto, about 6" from top and bottom of the door. Unfortunately in your picture there doesn't seem to be much frame your can fix to. You need to ensure you have a strong fixing point and that the bolt shoots fully into the ali door frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back