LOCKMASTER front door will not lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a two hook, four bolt lockmaster set up. When closing door to leave house, although the door shuts ok (meaning no-one can get back in without a key), we cannot double lock. The mechanism works when pushing up the handle but the problem is the alignment of the central lock into the side cavity. With the door open the key turns the lock OK. The lock appears to be hitting the side of the cavity very slightly making it impossible to turn the key. (the door has not dropped)
My question is : How do i adjust it ? The whole mechanism in the door seems screwed into plastic all the way down (and similarly on the side surround) and i am loathe to undo & try to adjust by screwing new holes which might not hold properly. How do locksmiths resolve this without messing up the UPVc door surround.

Sponsored Links
Ok so you acknowledge its probably an alignment problem but say the door HASN't dropped, my hunch is that it has. Either move the striker plate thats on the frame downwards if poss or lift the door slightly using the hinges, if you have flag hinges its easy, just use a 6mm allen key and give it 2 or 3 clockwise turns to lift the door.

For ref heres a flag hinge......

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=11&sub_category_id=80&range_id=229#

Ok so you acknowledge its probably an alignment problem but say the door HASN't dropped, my hunch is that it has. Either move the striker plate thats on the frame downwards if poss or lift the door slightly using the hinges, if you have flag hinges its easy, just use a 6mm allen key and give it 2 or 3 clockwise turns to lift the door.

For ref heres a flag hinge......

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=11&sub_category_id=80&range_id=229#[/QUOTE]

Thanks for advice. Will try during the week when i'm back at house. From memory, i think there's 3 flag hinges. presumbly i adjust all 3 the same. Also, i could not see a way of lowering or adjusting the plate .
The reason i'm thinking the door hasn't dropped is that i visually observed that the lock appeared well above the lowest point of the plate, so i thought the problem was sideways (rather than downwards or upwards) if you see what i mean !

Yes adjust all 3 hinges, i normally just do the middle or top because of ease of access then once the door works just adjust the others to just take the loose slack out so the weight is on all 3 hinges.

I also do understand what you mean when you say 'sideways' but again why should it do it all of a sudden? Where as if the door dropped then it would be instant.

But without seeing it its just a hunch.

Sponsored Links
Following on, looked today. These do not appear to be 'flag' hinges ! No allen key spot at bottom, only what seems to be an end bolt surrounded by a sort of black seal. Right in the centre of the hinges on the front is some adjustable screw (like an allen key but one of those more modern phillips screws i think - like hexagonal but smaller). Wondering whether these sort of hinges are adjustable ?

Checked the strike plate which still seems alligned ok to the block (lock). I suppose i could unscew it and move it down but it still looks comfortably central now. However , there does not seem to be away of adjusting horizontally rather than vertically (as mentioned before)
I must confess, this is only 18 mths old & as i havent been living there, i've only just noticed it -- maybe its been like it since instalation

In the 3rd picture if you take the little grub screw out it will probably release the front cover plate off the hinge, this maybe will reveal an allen bolt that you can wind sideways but instead of the bolt moving the door does..........im guessing mind :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back