Loft aerial install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help.

I have bought an high gain aerial from B&Q which is on off at the minute for £20 including a kit to wire and mount it.

I order a signal finder from amazon for £10 and I have tried to install it today. There are 4 lights on the signal finder and I can only get 3 lit.

I am getting channels such as food network, viva, itv2+1, film 4, sky news and some others but I cannot get BBC 1,2 ITV 1, CH 4 & 5 and others.

Is there a problem with the aerial? Do I meds a better aerial? Does the aerial need to go outside to be mounted?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Starting with the most basic questions..
The first question needs to be, where are you checking the signal?? It should be at the antenna, not at the end of the coax. this will eliminate the loss created by the length of coax & show the signal at the antenna.
Question two..Is the antenna mounted so that the polarity is correct?? If you have mounted the antenna with the elements vertical rather than horizontal you will loose 3dB of signal..That's about 50%.
Question three is..Have you checked that the coax is connected properly at both ends?? That, is have you made sure that none of the external braiding is touching the centre core & that the connections are good??
Question four. What is the TV signal like in your area, as a UHF antenna will always perform better in the open. That is with a clear line to the transmitter.
So if you have a weak signal the attenuation caused by loft mounting could make all the difference, as could the lack of height.
If the basics are right what you need to do antenna mounting wise is going to depend upon the answer to question four.

Question 1 I am checking the signal at the aerial.

Question 2 don't really know what you mean.

Question 3 coax is connected correctly.

Question 4 how do I find out the signal in my area?

You're getting the weaker commercial multiplexes, but missing out on the stronger ones. Translation: The problem isn't signal strength. You're getting the stations that are broadcast at the lower-power end of the scale.

You might think you have told us all that's relevant, but my guess is that there's a crucial bit of info missing. It could be that you have moved house, or that the TV was used some other place before, or you are hooking up to an old freeview TV or old freeview box, or that this is the first time you have been able to receive channels such as ITV2+1, or there's a join or kink in the cable somewhere. This isn't a complete list. But it does give you some idea of the range of issues that might be affecting your reception in addition to anything directly related to the aerial set up.

You have already done some basic checks. The question about aerial orientation is easy to answer. Go look at your neighbours aerials. You are looking for two things.... the first is direction. Are they all pointing in the same direction? This tells you if they are all aimed at one transmitter. If they are, then make sure yours is pointing in the same direction too.

The second is the orientation of the aerials. Are the blades on the long boom lying flat or pointing up so they look like a fence? I suspect your neighbours aerials are pointing at one of the two main transmitters for the Belfast area. Aerial orientation for main transmitters is usually horizontal rather than vertical.

If you have done the above then I think it could be that you need to do a factory reset or First Time Installation or whatever the equivalent "start from scratch" mode is for your TV. This will clear down the channel memories and replace them with fresh. So, as long as your TV is capable of receiving the current standard of Freeview transmissions that's about as much as you can do with what you have at this stage.

There is still the possibility of signal overload or the TV/Freeview box being older versions that can't cope with the newer version of Freeview transmissions. There's also cable issues.

If you have too much signal then you'll see this on the signal strength meter if your TV. It'll be close to- or totally maxed out. If it's like that on the lower power stations (ITV2+1 etc) then it will definitely be overloading on the full power stations such as BBC1. The solution is an attenuator. It's something that reduces the signal level. see this link You can get ones that look like an inline adapter that drop the signal by a specific amount depending on the value, or ones that are variable. If you are troubleshooting then the variable one is probably easier.

Having a non-compatible Freeview box then the simple answer is just to buy a new one.

Cable issues: I have had it where a customer did a DIY install and bent the cable sharp round a corner. It acts like a notch filter selectively removing a frequency. Over all though, my money is on a factory reset/retune. Try that first.

Sponsored Links
Chrisfrost the re scan done the trick thank you.

Can now get all freeview channels except RTE but I can get the sound so probably need a soarview box I think.

Another area you might be able to help on is I hope to connect my sky to the aerial system. I am planning to cable it as follows take the cable from the aerial in the loft and run it outside the house down to where the sky dish cable goes into the house and connect my aerial cable into the sky box, then take a cable from the RF2 output on the sky box outside the house up to the loft and back into the loft. I will have a Wosley 8 way amplifier in the loft so the cable from the sky box can connect into this. Then I can feed my tv outputs from the amplifier and have a sky magic eye installed where I want one.

Does this sound correct?

Is your Wolsey amplifier SkyLink compatible (works with Sky "magic eyes")? If you aren't sure, please divulge its model number.

Have ordered it from amazon and haven't received it yet but the description states that it can be used with the sky magic eye.

Is the way I am hoping to install it correct?

There are various considerations when installing such a system:

Use only double-screened coaxial cable.
Use only screened wall sockets.
TV can interfere with "magic eye".
Connection to TV might need to be decoupled.
TV plugs carrying power to the "magic eye" need a reliable DC connection.

If you have problems or are in any doubt, see this:
http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/satellite_freeview.htm#magic

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Have to wait to get the Wosley amp and some coax cable to complete the install.

Will post when I have the job completed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back