Loft Aerials - Any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sky satellite dish (working) but currently have no aerial.

I want to have installed a aerial and was thinking of installing a Loft aerial..... but are they any good?

I have always thought If an aerial is enclosed in a loft and doesn't have fresh open air that you wouldn't get much of a picture - is this true?

A Loft aerial would be perfect for me as maintaining it would be a lot easier than going out in rain/wind and up a ladder trying to maintain it!

Can a Loft aerial maintain a good picture?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
mine worked wonderfully,
that was until it all changed to digital.

It depends on several factors; the main ones being...

* signal strength in your area

* local conditions around your building (trees, other buildings etc)

* suitability of the aerial for the frequency range of the transmissions

* where in the loft the aerial is installed

* how well the aerial is installed

The above isn't exhaustive, but it probably covers enough of the main points. There's no definitive answer because there are too many unknowns. Just installing the aerial in a bad spot in the loft can knock off a significant chunk of performance. I'll gibe you an example. The father-in-law lives in a strong signal area. He has a loft aerial but it's useless because the house is blocked by trees in the direction of the transmitter. That, plus the losses from being in the loft is enough to wipe out the signal. I live further away from the same transmitter in an area where high gain aerials are recommended. Yet I have brilliant line of sight to the transmitter, so the same aerial in my loft would work great.
If an aerial system is designed and installed properly outdoors then it won't need much maintenance at all.

A proper outdoor installation will work much better than a loft install.

Sponsored Links
I would agree. I have a loop aerial on the windowsill not best but only use for Yesterday. Best for me would be a small aerial on corner of garage with sky dish pointing opposite direction. I know good contact with Moel-y-parc as Miss Piggy (GB7MP) works well with my hand held and it's on the same mast. Clearly a loft aerial would work OK for me but why bother easier to work on an aerial just 10 foot off the ground.

Mother is very different lower than me same distance but unlike me can't see mast lights out of bedroom window. In spite of being a radio ham I have employed an aerial fitter with his meters to maintain her aerial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back