Loft boarding around hangers and correct screw lengths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our house is a semi, built in the 1950's. It's a cut roof, in the hip style.

Here is a cross section.

I've ripped out and thrown away the existing insulation, it was years old and wafer thin. Here is a photo of the empty loft, showing 1 of the 6 hangers. There are a total of 3 hangers on each binder.

Unlike most ceiling joists talked about on this forum, our ceiling joists are only 3" by 2", and I've found it impossible to find 3" (75mm) loft insulation on rolls, so in between the ceiling joist I plan on using 75mm Kingspan (or Celotex or Quintherm) rigid silver boards.

I then intend to cross batten the 3"x2" ceiling joists with 4" by 2" at 600mm centres and insulate between those cross battens with 100mm fiberglass rolls and then board over the top of the cross battens with those big green tongue and grove boards. In total this will give us 175mm of loft insulation (95mm short of the recommended 270mm but far better than nothing).

My main questions

1. Am I ok screwing 4" by 2" cross battens into the 3" by 2" ceiling joists using say 130mm (5") screws? What would the best length and correct type of screw be for this job.

2. After the cross battening, would the extra strength be increased enough to allow the 6 hangers to be removed? If not, what’s the best way of boarding those big green tongue and grove boards around the hangers? Or could I recreate the loft hangers by attaching them to the top of my green flooring somehow? Or should I just be boarding the centre of the loft up to the hangers?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back