Loft boarding around ceiling hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Here is a picture of what this area of the loft originally looked like (it's a hip style roof).

I have now put down cross battens and 2 layers of 100mm loft insulation. So it currently looks like this.

I'm boarding with those 18mm thick 2400mm x 600mm moisture resistant chipboards. However, I'm stuck with what to do where there are ceiling hangers. There are 6 ceiling hangers in total.

I can think of several ways to solve this problem.

1. Just remove the hangers completely, however this is might not be wise, I don't think they are structural. I think their purpose is just to stop the bedroom ceilings from flexing, which probably won't be an issue any more because of the extra strength added from the cross battens and boards themselves.

2. Cut an 18mm section out of the base of the hangers (the thickness of my green boards) then slide the green board underneath it, then screw a block of wood through the green board and into 2 of my cross battens and the hanger, it would end up looking a bit like this.

3. Leave the battens as they are and cut a section out of the green board, then use a few noggins between my cross battens to support the peice of green chipboard that was cut out. Would look at bit messy, but it's only a loft.

4. Remove the existing loft hangers and add new ones. Screwed through my green boards and into my cross battens. So would end up looking like this.

What do you fellas do?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back