Loft Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you're all alright!

I've had my loft boarded and other chimney taken out. Me and the roofer was looking at this brickwork earlier and it's pretty bad. Roof has sunk a little, and I think it's because this brickwork has just been left to crumble away. I'm going to let it dry out for a few months, but what's the best thing I can do with this?

1000001508.jpg
1000001510.jpg
1000001509.jpg

Sponsored Links
As long as the flues are supported underneath and the purlins resting ok on the gable end, the brickwork itself doesnt look too bad, any gaps can be infilled, especially for fire prevention if they are a continuation of the terrace.

As long as the flues are supported underneath and the purlins resting ok on the gable end, the brickwork itself doesnt look too bad, any gaps can be infilled, especially for fire prevention if they are a continuation of the terrace.

The joints are like sand, I can scrape it out with my finger and some of the bricks are crumbling from years of neglect. Would it be worth me scraping them out and repointing at least? I was prepared to have it rendered once it all dries out for 6 month. Think it's been decade+ of water coming down the wall. 'Bare minimum' landlord before we got it.

Sponsored Links
I would rake out and re point. I wouldnt render over it.

Semi detached terraced so that side is my neighbours access path. In short, fresh air
Then you check whether the mortar is lime or cement, and if cement you need to ensure that excessive rainwater is not getting into the wall to react with the compounds from old flue gas and continue to degrade the mortar like that.

Any work in cement mortar should be with a sulphate resistant cement.

If lime mortar, again sort out any issues externally rather than internally. If you are minded, coat the wall with a PVA or proprietary dust proofer product which will bond the mortar.

That existing stack may be letting water in too by the look of it.

A roofer is not normally the best person to be looking at or advising on brickwork.

Then you check whether the mortar is lime or cement, and if cement you need to ensure that excessive rainwater is not getting into the wall to react with the compounds from old flue gas and continue to degrade the mortar like that.

Any work in cement mortar should be with a sulphate resistant cement.

If lime mortar, again sort out any issues externally rather than internally. If you are minded, coat the wall with a PVA or proprietary dust proofer product which will bond the mortar.

That existing stack may be letting water in too by the look of it.

A roofer is not normally the best person to be looking at or advising on brickwork.
Cheers. The chimney on the left has already been taken down in the past, I'm hoping that is just old damage. Below is the bathroom and kitchen, and the poor tennant didn't even have a bathroom extractor.. it was a mould fest with the damp walls and steam in the bathroom going nowhere. But yea the roofer has been, and said the problem was the existing right chimney so suggested just taking it down. I'll stick a dehumidifier in there, dry it out for a few months and have the bloke back if needed. I've had my hip replaced so limited in terms of what I can have a go at. I've pointed a few chimneys and walls in my youth, and I find it therapeutic to be honest , I was hoping I could have a go but might just get these lads around again, they're reasonably priced. Got a garden and brick BBQ to build when weather pics up, I'll be busy!

In the attic? :D
I'm a traditionalist ;) I like my garden in the garden and Christmas tree decorations in the loft. Next door has enough moss on his roof that it could be considered a garden :ROFLMAO:

The joints are like sand, I can scrape it out with my finger and some of the bricks are crumbling from years of neglect. Would it be worth me scraping them out and repointing at least? I was prepared to have it rendered once it all dries out for 6 month. Think it's been decade+ of water coming down the wall. 'Bare minimum' landlord before we got it.
put some shelves up there and fill them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back