loft condensation on 3 year old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed that I have considerable condensation on the inside of the roofing felt in the loft and it looks as if there has been a problem for some time as there is mould on some of the apex roof joists.Water is actually dripping down.
There is roof vents in the eaves on both sides of the house. I have an uninsulated roof hatch- are these supposed to be supplied now with insulation fitted, and can this contribute to the proble. I dont want to have to go to the expense of fitting gable roof vents etc any ideas. I also have quite a lot of items stored in the loft- but the problem is on the northh of the house and our prevailing wind is SW. The south side of the roof is ok. Any ideas or help PLEASE!!!. SHOUL THIS BE OCCURING IN A HOUSE BUILT ONLY 3 YEARS AGO??

Sponsored Links
I dont know the solution to your prob but the uninsulated hatch will not be contributing to your prob, only you will be losing some heat out your home. A thick piece of poltstyrene (which no doubt you've thrown out lots of since chrimbo) placed on the hatch would insulate it sufficiently. When you are in the loft during the day can you see daylight coming through from your eave vents?. If not the insulation may be fitted corner to corner and needed cut back. Id say the sun would have alot to do with your south side remaining ok. On such a new house though, im sure the builders would give you some free advice...good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back