loft condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new Wimpey house (Shenston style) last June just went up the loft at the weekend to pull down the xmas decorations and the loft was full of condensation dripping from the black underlay and mould, Beams are green with mould covering the contents of the loft. Anybody experienced this before? Got a guy coming wednesday 14th to Inspect the problem what type of questions should I be asking also what would this guy be looking to do in the way of diagnosing the problems. Any help apreciated

Sponsored Links
NHBC.......... 10 year Guarantee...Wimpey should`ve stuck to fast food :evil:

I had exactly the same problem only a few months after moving into an 8 year old Bovis Home.

Last month I called out a surveyor who was stumped because the eaves vents were clear and there was no obvious way for moist warm air to come up from the house.

The loft hatch fitted snugly and was well insulated. The fans from the shower room and bath room did not have vents to take moisture away, but we were not using the fans. So far we remain stumped.

I have borrowed a portable dehumidifier as a temporary measure and am taking measurements to see how much moisture it is removing. I want to see if it is worse in the hours following showers / baths.

The Surveyor suggests installing vents for the fans and perhaps tile vents too.

The condition is worse in the winter (the problem only came to light in late November) and is worse on the cold north side of the roof. But it is very bad and if we don;t get it sorted we may need a new roof.

Sponsored Links
If your bath and shower vents go through the ceiling, then warm damp air will rise up through them very fast, like hot air up a chimney. Water vapour is even lighter than air. If they haven't got ducts delivering the moistness outside the house, then that's a construction defect. Put some in.

And I think you ought to use the fans to get the water out of the house. It will only hang around looking for somewhere to go if you don't.

You aren't hanging wet washing up inside, or over radiators, are you?

you've probably solved this by now, but i had exactly the same problem when i moved into a brand new house. Got the house builders to install tile vents on either side in middle of roof - problem solved !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back