Loft conv RSJ's v Joist doubling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the criteria for choosing RSJ's over doubling up of existing ceiling joists.

Reason being that I thought pretty well much any new loft conversion had to be done via steel with a clearance between steels and the existing ceiling joists they sit over (25mm gap between).

I have friends in a different area of the UK who have a similar (with planning at moment) loft conversion design and they are saying that doubling up of the joists will be okay as the base for the loft floor.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Steel beams are not necessarily required, but your existing ceiling joists probably wont be strong enough to span the distance between the walls carrying the increased floor load. The design loading for a floor is six times as much as a roof void with light storage.
There used to be guide for sizing of joists in Part A of the building regs but that has now been removed but I think it can still be found at the "trada" website based on the spacing and load being carried (i.e. - floorboards).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back