Upgrading/Replacing joists in loft....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a long list of things to learn about in readiness for future upgrades/modifications (as the regulars will know).

The joists in the loft (ceiling joists I presume) appear to be about 2"x4". Am I right in thinking they'd need to be double this to support a floor for a future loft conversion?

Would this usually be a straight swap, or is it possible to somehow strengthen the ceiling joists in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There is usually an awful lot more involved in a loft conversion involving steel beams and structural engineers calculations. You'll need to post some photos and/or a description of the existing roof and the existing spans and which if any walls are loadbearing. As your house is fairly modern you have probably got trussed rafters which are a pain to convert. Essentially you need a few steel beams to support the rafters before you cut away the trusses. Have a look at this tasty thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137740&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Your steels probably won't be as beefy but this is what you will need to do.

A rule of thumb for steel beam/timber joist sizing is that the depth of the beam/joist is 1/20th of the span.

Hi freddy, you are the zen master of quick replies lol. :D

Yeah, I appreciate there's loads more involved. We have a W beam configuration up there, which will be a pain to convert. Thanks for the comprehensive reply and pointer to that post.

It's one of the jobs that I'll likely be leaving to a professionals. I do however like to understand how it all works for my own piece of mind.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back