loft conversion - combi or what ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

New here , hope you can help

I am about to get a loft conversion done.
I live in a modern ( 7yr old) four bed detached house with one bathroom and an en-suite. Currently have a standard system with a cold water cistern in the loft, hot water cylinder in the "airing cupboard" and an ideal boiler ( lxff with "250" stamped on the label) in the kitchen.

Now my loft is planned to have another bathroom with shower - I also want to put a radiator or two in my existing conservatory. The best place for the loft stairs is through the existing airing cupboard, and of course I could really do without the tank in the loft.

So what am I best to do ?

The builders have suggested a combi-boiler but I know little about anything technical - my little research has found that loft conversions are best having a combi , but any house with 2 bathrooms are best having a conventional boiler?

Also, what boiler make/model would anyone recommend ?
Would it be cheaper /better for teh plumber to buy it or for me to try to source ?
Would the plumber generally just take away the existing kit or is there a "second-hand" market that I could tap into ? ( or would indeed the plumber's price effectively include a discount for taking away my old system for him to sell ?

Any advice gratefully received . Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to find out your water pressure and flow rate before anyone advises you as to which way to go.

Your old existing equipment is worthless and will just be dumped.

It will not conform to any current legislation so therefore cannot be fitted anyway.

Thanks a lot for that Dave

How would I go about finding out what my water pressure and flow rate are ?

Graham

Sponsored Links
For flow rate get a bucket of known volume and see how long it takes to fill that volume, eg 10 litres in a minute.

Pressure needs to be taken from a tap with a pressure gauge. Your plumber should have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back