Loft conversion, planning a bath up there. Is this wise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a typical Victorian terraced house with 3 beds. I'm about to convert the loft and in the process am planning to replace the current system with a Combi (Worcester Bosch 37). I have 8.5 litres per minute out of the kitchen tap and about 1.9bar pressure.

I've gone through all the options (neg head, pump, unvented etc). While I wanted to go unvented my plumber reckons the expense isn't worth it because the pressure is so rubbish. So, against my better judgement, I've decided a combi gives the best balance of space-saving and performance although am well aware of the drawbacks.

My question is, is it unwise to install a small bath (with over shower) up in the loft? I was planning on a Aqualise HiLux or something which of course wouldn't be pumped with a combi.

We wouldn't use it as a bath very often but there are occasions where you need it, and our downstairs bathroom isn't large enough for one.

(I'm prepared to replace the main pipe out to street if necessary)

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
You don't have sufficient water flow for a combi.
Remember the 8.5 litres has to supply hot and cold with a combi.
You might want to check the flow at another tap the flow
from kitchen taps can be fairly poor. An outside tap is better
or bath tap provided it is fed from the mains.

You can have a combi but you would need to
install a cold water accumulator tank of say 100 - 150 litres to buffer
a store of cold water at pressure.

You plumber should have advised you of this. I suggest you
get someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back