loft conversion...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i'm a newbie to this site so first of all hi ;) i am about to start out on a loft conversion but am told that my existing joists (3x1 or something like that) are to small and will not take the weight so i have been told about 'cross-beeming' which from what i can gather is laying new joist on top of original joist but it opposite direction then attaching them into a new wall plate which you have to put in also i think i have explained this correctly can anybody tell if this is correct and if it is a safe way to do the job as i dont want the whole flaming loft to come down

Cheers

Matt

P.s hi again :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
From loft conversion i assume you will be getting planning and building control involved.
Its more normal to lay new flooring joists alongside the old ceiling joists to take the additional loading of the floor. What type of roof construction is it (purlins, trusses)? If you dont know take some photos
Headroom and stair location are pretty key to loft conversions so should be considered very early.
Post some photos of the existing loft.

Cross beaming is ok if your just using it for storage, nothing else. I take it that you are not going to imform anyone about your loft conversion.

want to use it as a bedroom for my son yes you would be right im not informing anybody about the conversion as we have no plans to move just need the extra space

Matt

Sponsored Links
It's not worth the hassle when you do move, Matt. A proper conversion will add £15K to your house. A bodge will add nothing. You also have toi take into account the safety of your son re fire etc.

Actually a bodge may take money off your house.. but good luck with it.

Floor joists, roof structure, head clearance, fire escape windows, an adequate fire escape route, stairs, ventilation, invalid insurance ..........these are just a few of the things to consider, there are many more.

I would ask you to really think about what you intend to do. The Building Regulations are there for a reason, the fact that we don't always agree with them is besides the point. A lot of these regs have been introduced as a result of injury or death, you will put your family at risk if you don't do this correctly, and it may cost you a lot more if you mess up.

Just to carry on from salem200 post, if you do it your way please make sure you put smoke detectors on every floor and put a escape veluxs in the conversion, for your son sake.

PS if you sell your house you can't class the conversion as a bedroom, only storage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back