Insulation under loft boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for any advice:

I am going to lay some mdf boards I have in my loft. Based on reading so far I'm either going to re-route wiring whch is over the joists or cross-lay 3x1 first.

There is very thick fibreglass insulation laid throughout which stands well proud of the joists. My question is whether it is acceptable to compress the insulation and just lay the new boarding on top or does this reduce the effectiveness?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Insulation works by thickness, so if you squash it you will reduce its effectiveness. Also it is preferred to leave an air gap to prevent condensation. The air gap and the flooring will also reduce heat loss a little.

If you have the chance to use thicker counterbattens this will help give you more room, as well as a more rigid floor. 2"x2" would probably be no more expensive.

Thanks, I suspected that may be the answer. I've had another brief look up there (don't want to spend real time there till I have a mask and gloves) and it's actually 2 layers of 4-4.5in fibreglass. The joists appear about 4 inches so I will have a look at relative costs for the 3x1 and 2x2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back