Loft Coversion condensation?

kdkbnl.jpg

Sponsored Links
What about cutting holes in the felt to allow it to breath, thus saving on the cost of vents etc ?

I know the felt is there as secondary protection, but how often is it actually used? The tile is the only form of defense and if you have a leak, you get the tile sorted straight away.

I would go for this solution and add battons to the rafters to build them out so you can add in the correct level of insulation. Then add insulation to the underside of the rafters. You will loose about 1115mm of height from the room though (if you want it to pass regs).

What about cutting holes in the felt to allow it to breath, thus saving on the cost of vents etc ?

I know the felt is there as secondary protection, but how often is it actually used? The tile is the only form of defense and if you have a leak, you get the tile sorted straight away.

I would go for this solution and add battons to the rafters to build them out so you can add in the correct level of insulation. Then add insulation to the underside of the rafters. You will loose about 1115mm of height from the room though (if you want it to pass regs).
Yes but arguably the felt is doubly important when you have a lofty, the first thing you may know about it is plasterboard getting damp, which may occur some time after a leak occurs, after water has penetrated insulation, timbers and trickled down into the cavity etc etc.

Secondly he's doing it without regs so insulation seemingly not an issue. (nobody mention this may be devaluing his house). Lets hope that fire door went in on the floor below at least!

I design lofts and extensions for a living.

There are two correct ways to do this.

1. The tiles and felt will need to be stripped off. Replace the felt with Tyvek or similar breathable membrane and then refit the tiles. Any moisture will escape through the membrane.

2. You need to leave a 50mm gap between the felt existing felt and the insulation. You must then add ventilated soffit and ventilated ridge tiles or ventilated roof tiles at high level. Any moisture will blow through the gap and away. Additional insulation should be fixed across the under side of the rafters to provide adeqate insulation.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back