Loft extension where house previously had a bowed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing a flat in the top floors of a semi detached Victorian property. The sellers have just provided this information:

"The front wall has bowed under the weight of the concrete tiles. This is due to the heavy tiles/poor Victorian design of the house. Remedial works (bracing to roof timbers) were carried out prior to us purchasing the flat (in 2018) on advice of structural engineer. The wall/house has been reassessed by a structural engineer in 2021 (for purchase of downstairs flat) and recently (Feb 2024) in preparation of the sale. These reports have all confirmed the wall is stable and there has been no recent movement (we can provide these reports)."

If I purchased this property I'd be interested in having a loft extension done, do you think this would not be possible/ would be made more expensive due to the bowing wall, albeit the issue appears to have been fixed?

Sponsored Links
You can't rely on any report prepared for any other person.

You'll need your own report for the purchase, and another for any proposed extension.

You'll also need to clarify ownership of the structure and rights to carryout extension work under the building lease or agreement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back