loft flat and whole house water/heating solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, 1st time ever on a forum and am a co-homeowner who is converting the loft to a 1 bed flat in our current 2 bed house.
Please bare with my ignorance and lack of tech. Please exlain abbreviations before using. Many thanks.javascript:emoticon(':D')

The problem is we are near to the brow of a hill and only get 1.5 bar to the kitchen sink. I know the minimum requirement from the water board is 1 bar.

We currently run a 12 year old ferroli falcon combi 80000 btu.

We also have a electric shower Mira escape 9.8kw electric shower in the 1st floor bathroom running of course off mains water, when I take a shower and the dishawasher or washing machine on the ground floor fills or the hot tap is opened at the face basin by my wife, then the shower pressure alters and the shower goes cold. Inthe mornings at high demand times on the road the taps inthe bathroom only gives out a slow flow, but yet the kitchen hot stays fairly normal.

The 2nd and main problem is there is no way I can serve the proposed kitchen and shower room inthe loft without nothing coming from the tap if more than one tap is opened.
I have been 5 options by some engineers with only one of the last 3 seeming favourable so need your expert advice.
We need the eaves space for clothes and bedding storage and in any casethe space is atoo small to fit a coffin tank. 285mm high by 300mm wide.
1. As we dont have the space to install a megaflow style setup thats out of question.
2. Installing a 38mm mains from the street is not an option as the disruption (real wood flooring & toddler) and cost.
3.One engineer said use a whole house Powertank pump from pumpexpress website, but they're huge and again nowhere to site.
4. Another suggested if I can get a cold water storage tank (CWST) in the new floor then pump with a negative head pump (I found the Techflow Turbo Range to have good technical advice and replacment parts) to a new combi ie before the combi, and to the shower and hand basin, that would solve water pressure issue as i would be seperating the house in half giving the 3rd floor it's own system, which i like the sound of but a CWST to fit a spacei wiil steal from the bedroom will cost me over £500 alone as it will be bespoke 400mm (w) 800mm (h) 1100mm (L) 70 gallon.
And the pumd would be around £300 delivered. Then I've got the cost of a combi boiler plus associated fitting costs.
5. Lastly one enginner said fit a hot water horizontal bespoke to suit space in the eaves and fit a regular boiler, but as I said before I need the eaves space for storage as the room is a galley style 8 foot at the widest point.

Before anyone mentions yes the kitchen cold will be mains fed for drinking.

Help me pleeeeze. As I need to instruct an Enginner who will not try to get the gig just for a pay day and not fit a system that will not work. I intend to fit a Thermostaic mixer shower to the loft bathroom for safety of the old man when he eventually comes to live with us.

Thanks again in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back