Whole flat fed from mains to allow whole flat water filtered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to have all the water in our property (a two bed flat) put through a water filter for both drinking water and bathroom/shower.

Currently the mains feeds the kitchen sink and combi boiler and a water tank feeds the bathroom (sink, toilet, bath and cold shower mixer).

To allow ALL our water to be filtered, the only way I can see it working would be to feed everything from the mains. Then the water tank would become obsolete.

Is it recommended to feed the bathroom with mains water?
Is there any downside to doing this?
Could the shower mixer be effected from mains cold water supply?

and does anyone have recommendation for a whole house water filter system.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Sponsored Links
why do you want to bathe and shower in filtered water?

why do you want to flush the WC with filtered water?

why do you want to wash your clothes in filtered water?

what sort of filter do you have in mind?

The water tank need not be obsolete. If you fit a filter after the stopcock and before any branches you can leave the rest of your plumbing in place.

you can not have your main kitchen cold tap on a filter.
if you want filtered water in the kitchen you need a seperate tap for the filter.

Hi thanks your reply,

Water to wash/shower with would make a big difference to family members with sensitive skin conditions, and drinking water filtered through the tap rather than the jug filters.

With limited space it may be difficult to choose where the filtered water is diverted to. So filtered water to the WC and wash machine we can live with!

I have seen some systems available but would like to know if any recommendations, and whether there is any down side to having the whole property fed from the mains?

Sponsored Links
why not go for a water softener then, instead of a filter, except for the drinking tap?

Start with getting rid of the tanks so all your taps have at least clean water. With tanks, the only water suitable for consumption is your kitchen tap.
Flat needs at least one tap directly of mains by law.

I would just like to clarify one thing please.

Is it OK to have the whole property (Kitchen - sink and white goods/ Bathroom all fittings) fed from mains water and do away with the cold water tank? Yes/No?

If there is no issue with this then I think my question is answered - Many thanks.

You can if you want to

Some of your old taps may then leak due to higher pressure.

However it is irrelevant to the question of fitting a filter, since a filter can be fitted on the incoming supply, whether it then goes to a tank or to mains-pressure taps.

I don't know why you are combining the two issues.

The maximum amount of water to the flat will have to be shared out between all hot and cold taps, showers, WC cisterns and appliances, so if you receive (for example) 10 litres per minute, you will notice every tap has reduced flow when another tap or appliance is turned on. You can't use a pump.

OK, I have done this now and all is working great, thanks for the feedback.

Funny thing is the tap that was dripping in the bath has now stopped!!

The cold tank is on a seperate pipe feed on the other side of the building, I don't have any access to that.

So my whole flat is now mains fed. No probs.

ttfn :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back