Loft Hatch - painted what to do after the horse has bolted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have moved into a house where the MDF loft hatch is now and has been painted both sides, by the looks of things only one coat of gloss paint has been applied and it is bowing a little in the middle but is bearable. I do not think it was sealed as the paint looks to have soaked in on the edges
I do not really want to replace it.

My questions are....
If I add a second coat to make it look tidy will it bow further?
Do I do both sides (again)?
Should I seal the sides before I paint or is it too late?

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
If it is MDF and it is bowing, it may well be a condensation problem. The damp side expands so it bends away from the damp. In this case it will straighten to some extent when it dries out.

Water vapour is lighter than air so it moves towards the highest part of the house.

In UK homes the main cause of condensation, damp and mould is wet washing draped around the house or hung over radiators.

If you can insulate the top surface of the hatch it will be less cold and get less condensation.

Sponsored Links
hi
thanks for your answers and I will insulate regarding the top side of the hatch however I think it bowed becuase they painted without priming it. the sides are not painted and you can see the paint has soaked through

I want to tidy it up on the underside so need to add another coat of paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back