loft improvements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lockdown has led me to venturing into my loft, and I've discovered a few things that I think I need to resolve. Can anyone give some pointers to a newbie?

Firstly, there was an old water tank in the loft, held up by a wooden structure. I've began to remove this but have stopped short in case I'm removing anything that may be structural - I 'm 99.99% sure that removing the wooden structure will have no impact on the roof but thought I'd ask first just in case.

Secondly, there is only about 3 inches of insulation between the joists, and most of it has turned from yellow to black - is this discolouration a major issue, or can I just lay more insulation on top to get it to required level of 270mm?

Thirdly, there appears to be white mould on walls and some roof beams - I expect this issue is a result of ill fitting downlights letting condensation up from the bathroom - I will replace the downlights, any tips on what I need to to to treat the beams/get rid of the mould? It doesn't look severe so I'm assuming this isn't a professional job.

Any advice would be apprectiated!

Thanks
View media item 105365View media item 105364View media item 105363

Sponsored Links
That timber structure certainly is not structural to the roof. It looks like a 'modern' addition. The way your roof is made you'll see the big beefy beams running both sides of your roof length ways - they are the structural integrity of the roof.

The discolouration of the insulation is years upon years of dust and muck coming in from the tiles/slates. I'm not clued up on insulation so not sure if banging more on top is the right thing to do or if you should just remove and replace???

The white on bricks looks like salts coming out of the brick. Is it a chimney as it looks proud of the wall? Maybe moisture getting in the chimney?

Not sure on the timber mould either so see if further advice comes in? I'd have thought thee would have been enough air flow up there to dissipate any bathroom moisture though and its in a relatively localised area so maybe suggesting a leak somewhere?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back