Loft Insulation and Electric Cables

stl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read the previous forums on this topic, but would still appreciate some clear advice. I am planning to top up loft insulation to 300mm thick overall.

Existing cables in the loft space as follows:-

- Upstairs socket ring main around loft, clipped to joists - part covered in existing insulation (cables drop down to sockets in wall)

- Upstairs lighting cable clipped to joists, part covered in insulation.

When I say part covered, I generally mean the insulation is to one side of the cable, i.e. the other side is clipped to the timbers.

Is it best to unclip all the cables and place loosely on top of the new layer of insulation? or is this just needed for the socket ring main?

House is approx 16yrs old, with cartridge fuses in the CU and RCD on all except lighting circuits.

Look forward to peoples thoughts on this

Sponsored Links
I forgot to say the lighting cables are 1.5mm T&E and ring is 2.5mm T&E

Thanks

The ring is more problematic, is it possible to raise the cable above the insulation and where it passes through insulation sleeve it in some 32mm drainage pipe.

If a cable is running through insulation, albeit with an air gap (eg by using 32mm drainage), how big does that gap have to be before there is no need to derate? A small gap will restrict airflow and therefore will still reduce the CCC of the cable. It seems to me that there should be a gradual reduction in the de-rate factor as the ratio between the overall cable CSA and the CSA of the gap increases from zero to some point where no de-rating is needed.

( I don't know - which is why I'm asking)

Sponsored Links
The lighting is protected by a 5A fuse.

With reagrd to the socket ring main, there is sufficient slack to lift this above the new insulation and just lay the cables on top of the insulation.

Is this ok?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back