Loft insulation - cabling issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of insulating my loft using standard mineral wool insulation rolls. I have bought 100 and 170mm rolls with the intention of laying the 100mm between the joists and then laying the 170mm rolls at right angles over the top.

I have managed with some degree of difficulty to lay the 100mm rolls, the main problem being it was often very difficult to get under the cabling. As far as I can determine the cabling is all for lighting (3 bedrooms, the landing, and the bathroom).

I've read on here and elsewhere no end of debate about whether it's OK to put insulation over cabling and for every post saying don't do it there's another saying do it. On top of that various people quote all kinds of measurements and calculations which just leave me confused and with a headache.

What I'd like to know is ... given the fact that I can't get the second layer of 170mm insulation under the cables and that I have no intention of rewiring the house simply to fit loft insulation, is there a practical workaround that I can use... such as cutting the insulation to leave gaps round the cabling. I guess that will look messy and not be as efficient but I don't want ANY risk of problems with the cabling due to overheating.

I'm sure I can't be the only person with this problem yet can't seem to find a practical answer to it that doesn't involve some sort of major disruption. So any help or advice would be very welcome and much appreciated.

Ian

Sponsored Links
This is not expert advice, not even layman's advice, just telling you what my situation is.

When I bought this bungalow 13 years ago, the loft had 100mm insulation between the rafters and covering all of the wiring. It had been like that for several years possibly since being built in 1984. Some years ago (can't remember exactly but at least 4 and possibly 7) I put another 100mm across the joists as extra insulation. I did it in ignorance that there was any reason not to. There have been no problems since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back