Loft Insulation - improving it correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a late 70's house. The loft has insulation in it, but in places it has disintegrated, and I'm sure it's not as deep as it could be.

During the Summer Npower had an offer where you could get rolls of insulation for £1. So I bought 15 rolls of the thicker stuff, I stored them away and haven't thought about it since, but now winter is coming I thought I'd best do something with them!

It's a detatched house, where the roof supports on the external walls, when you go up into the loft the roof supports are in the following shape:

\/\/

The bit down the middle is floorboarded with chipboard flooring, the two side parts aren't

For the parts where there are no floor boards I was just going to lay the insulation at 90 degrees to the existing insulation over the top, which should be easy enough.

The floorboarded part will be more difficult though, we use this for storage, so it would be handy to keep it. Do I raise it?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, the other problem with raising it is that there is a loft ladder which may foul it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back