Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a 30 year old house which current has a warm loft. The insulation is up against the roof with plasterboard keeping it put. I understand that there needs to be a gap between the insulation and the roof felt and I have no reason to suspect that this wasn't done. There is no insulation in the loft floor. There are also no vents in the eaves which I presume is correct when having a warm loft.

My question is how much heat is lost from the bedrooms into the warm loft? And is it very ineffecient to have a warm loft if I only store things up there? We want to keep storing items in the loft but at the same time keep the heat in the bedrooms. Should I insulate in the loft floor as well or will this cause me problems with condensation, etc. What is recommended for this situation? If I insulate the loft floor do I need to remove the insulation in the roof and add some vents in the eaves, therefore converting it into a cold loft? Could I just add some 100mm/170mm thickness insulation in the loft floor to allow some heat to stay in the room and allow some heat into the loft?

Many thanks in advance,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, defo insulate the Loft Floor area.... this will help keep you rooms warmer...

You do need some kind of venting in the loft... otherwise condensation can and will build up, and cause untolled damage to your roof structure.

How about Uploading some pictures of what you have so far and we can point you in the right direction....

There are many things to consider, again have a read through some simlar posts for ideas too...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back