Room above warm loft is very cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a chalet type house, and as such the bedroom downstairs has a warm loft above it. The warm loft itself isn't insulated. The loft in the rest of the house is insulated up to 270 mm.

Now, the room downstairs has 2 external facing walls, one to the side backs onto the drive and the other is the front of the house which is north facing.

I am considering internal wall insulation to the external facing wall which is a solid wall, however I just remembered that with the warm loft above the room, I might need to also insulate the floor in the warm loft which is above this particular room.

My concerns are around condensation, if I decide to insulate the floor, I dont think an air brick exists on the suspended flooring and by insulating the floor, how will air circulate around the prevent condensation.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the warm loft has no insulation at all or the warm loft has insulation in the rafters but not at the floor joists?

Do you mean the warm loft has no insulation at all or the warm loft has insulation in the rafters but not at the floor joists?

The warm loft has insulation in between the rafterns but not at the floor joists.

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
It looks as if you need to increase the insulation at the rafters in the warm loft (you probably have 100mm there compared to 300 elsewhere), I would also look at insulating the floor and ensuring the space below the floor was ventilated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back