Loft ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a 1970 dormer bungalow 1 year ago. 1 downstairs room has had a damp problem. I have noticed that in the eaves space (loft ?) there is no gap around the edge of the building where the air, usually, I believe, comes into the loft. When I peel back the loft insulation I see the inside of the external brick wall and above that there is mortar filling the gap between the top of the brick wall and the roof felt. Should I knock some of this mortar out to create that air flow that, I believe, is required and may be contributing to the damp problem in the downstairs room ? I also note that the soffit around the house has no air vents in it.

Sponsored Links
Does the loft space need more ventilation ? Is there a "sarking felt" under the tiles/slates ? If not (you can see the undersides of the tiles/slates and timber battons supporting them) then NO !

Hello John. Thanks for responding. How would I know if the loft needed more ventilation ? It has been very warm in that area in the recent good weather we have had and it was suitably cold there during last Winter. Apart from that I see no indications of concern for me in the loft area. There is sarking felt in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back