Loft ventilation and mortar in eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently flooring and insulating my loft but I’m a bit worried about the lack of ventilation. The house is a 1960s semi with no soffit or tile vents. It does have a ventilated wall cavity but the space in the eaves above wall plate and between the rafters has been filled in with mortar. I don’t know if this was standard for 1960s houses or if the previous idiot owner decided that the loft was too draughty. (The previous idiot also had an open downlight in the bathroom, which had the effect of sucking all the moist air from the bathroom into the loft and creating masses of condensation in the loft. Anyway, rant over this problem is now fixed with new sealed downlights.) I am also thinking of fitting an airbrick at the gable to ventilate the loft via the cavity.

So, is this mortar at the eaves original to the house and is breaking it out the best way to ventilate the loft?

Thanks,

Iain

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back