Warm / Hot Loft Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a loft in an 1890s two up two down, that has no ventilation whatsoever. There is also no over-hang (eaves?) where the roof hits the walls, so I don't think I can rig in ventilation there.

I think that only leaves the outer wall itself, or the slate tiles.

In the summer, as of a few days ago, the temperature of the loft was extremely warm, akin to getting into a hot car. My house survey (from when we bought the house) also comments on the lack of ventilation.

I'm interesting in ventilation options and rough costs, if anyone has experience with this?

I have 270mm of loft insulation down, a party wall that isn't full height (so the loft air also goes next door), and two capped chimney stacks up there.

Cheers,
Adam

Sponsored Links
your loft ventilation is not for the heat its to allow any dampness to escape in the winter months
you can get tile vents but it will make little difference to the heat except on windy days

Hi big-all

Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm wanting to improve ventilation to avoid damp problems, the heat is just an annoyance. I thought I'd mention it as the temperature might affect ventilation or damp levels.

Thanks for the clarification though.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned you can get slate vents put in or under slate vents that go in above the gutter but beneath the bottom row of slates. Slate vents probably less disruptive though. You can never have enough ventilation in a loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back