Is my loft ventilated ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photos show that mortar has been used to finish the top of the wall into the eaves space in my dormer bungalow. I have seen in other houses where this has not been present and air has drafted through that space. This, I believed, was the required ventilation for the eaves space. In this dormer bungalow I now live in, however, there appears to be no eaves space ventilation. It gets cold in the winter in this space and I am seeking to insulate the rafters so that I can floor out the eaves space to use it as another room. But I am uncertain about the apparent absence of ventilation. Any advice please ?
20180619_133239.jpg

Attachments

• 20180619_133230.jpg
    20180619_133230.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
if you dont have any condensation problems then why not leave it alone?
making a loft into a room can be a problem in itself. its not just screwing down some boards for the floor for example.

If the way it is finished is not a problem for condensation, then I will continue with the project of creating another room in this space. I appreciate it's not just screwing down some boards for the floor, but want to ensure that the ventilation topic is OK before I start doing further work with rafters insulation and plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Doing it right the first time is something I value. My "confusion" is due to the fact that there does not appear to be any such eaves ventilation or ridge ventilation. Might this be something that was not a requirement when the house was built in 1970 ? If it needs to be done, it will be done. I guess there are specifications for how this can be done ? e.g. location of vents and distance between them etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back