Loft "braces" ?

you'd need to prepare plans and have them approved by Building Control (typically at your local council but you can also find private companies)

The usual shortfalls in non-compliant loft conversions are the strength of the floor, the fire precautions, and the insulation.

If you try to sell a house with an unapproved loft conversion, the buyers have to assume it is badly done and reduce the price.

In some cases, if it is work that is very common in your area, you might be able to look up plans for similar work on a similar house, and copy their approach. I've done that, but for work that did not require SE calculations (I was doubtless over-generous in the specs, and I suspect the BCO had seen thousands of applications like mine and nodded them though after I had clarified a few questions).

The council website will have pages explaining how you apply.

If there are dormer windows or changes visible from outside, you may need planning permission as well.

I'm not well up on this. There is a section on this forum though.
https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/building-regs-planning/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back