Insulation of previously converted attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to run a few things past the experts on here on how I am proposing to insulate my flat. I have recently brought the place, it is the 3rd flat in a very old house that had been converted in the 80's. The flat is situated in what was originally the attic/loft space.

My internal wall space is made up of 4 foot stud wall with the eaves on the other side, slanting pitched roof with rafters and tiles the other side and another loft space in the center of the property.

It looks like the previous occupants didn't insulation at all, even though the roof was replaced 10 years ago! Hence the reason I am looking to insulate and am trying to work out the best way to do it without causing future condensation.

There are three types of wall where insulation need to be installed and my plan for each as it stands.

Loft
Build loft hatch to gain access to loft
Lay 100mm of Glass mineral wool between ceiling joists
Lay 25mm of rigid board celotex with insulating plasterboard and use as storage space. Pitched roof above stays un-instalted.

Internal pitched roof walls (below the loft space inside flat)
I am trying to avoid pulling down all the plasterboard, i know a lot of builders will say its the only option. However its the only option if you have that kind of cash laying about! My main focus is providing a warmer place for my family.

I have been looking into the following:
Sliding 75mm rigid foam insulation board in between the rafters, i have enough access from the loft space to do this. This will leave a 25mm air gap, is this sufficient as the roof felt is breathable? Will i need a separate vapor barrier and does this go on the inside (plasterboard) or outside (tiles) side of the insulate?

Other options I have been looking into are slow rise foam but I have since heard about problems with rot and the inn-ability to remove tiles in the future.

Or blown in celulose.

4 foot horizontal wall that has eaves on the other side

I have access to most of the eaves so I am planning on fitting 100mm rigid foam insulation between the joists of the 4 foot wall.
For the eaves I can access I will get two hatches installed for access.
Should the vents where the roof meets he eaves floor stay open? or can you insulate them?

This is a diy forum so this is not may day job so please bare that in mind when replying. Im just looking for advice and if I am doing it all completely wrong please tell me and suggest another way of doing it.

Many Thanks in advance
Adam

[/b[/b]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back