Loft query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this maybe one for floors stairs and lofts, or plumbing, but thought I'd ask it here first.

We've just brought a 1930s semi with a 4 year old combi in the loft. Just managed to get into the loft for the first time today to find practically no insulation, and extensive boarding of the loft floor

Now obviously id like to do something about the insulation, but my query is this:

Would it be better to insulate the rafters instead of the loft floor so the heat from the boiler isn't lost. I may not be able to get the full thickness required however. Therefore could I use a combination approach to ensure that the loft retains some heat so the boiler isn't constantly running to stop itself freezing?

Sponsored Links
You might cause problems by insulating the rafters lack of ventilation causing condensation for one.
A compromise might be an enclosure large enough for a service engineer to enter and gain full access to the boiler and components. Check the boiler info regarding regs for fitting in a compartment, but assuming it is a balanced flue appliance there should be no problems conforming to those requirements.

Yeah, that was my concern. There is tar paper under the tiles, and I understand the need for a 50mm gap, but I may create a box room, so I create a warm space. Not a lot of clearance between the top of the boiler and the roof, so just boxing in the boiler may be tricky.

That way, I don't insulate all the rafters, just down to the cross member, then vertical down to the loft floor. That way there is still plenty of air flow around the outside of the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back