Loft question: what is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wonder if any of you have encountered this stuff before? I'm about to start work in the loft and this brittle foam is all over the place. I'm thinking of removing it (wearing a mask) but thought I'd just check firstly whether it may be hazardous and secondly what it's intended purpose was, i.e. whether there may have been any problems previously that I'm not aware of - damp, woodworm etc.

Any advice greatly received!

View media item 60144

Sponsored Links
Looks like the remains of spray foam roof insulation.

It looks like when you or the previous owner had the roof done there was originally spray foam insulation applied to the roof, which would have needed to be removed when the roof was replaced and what you are seeing is the remnants of the foam.

So before the roof was replaced it would have looked like this:

loft_spray_insulation_spraying1.jpg

Horrible stuff!

Thanks FMT.

I did wonder that but this stuff is only on the beams, not between them - I wondered if the wood had needed treating at some point.

Its expanded foam, I recognise the colour/finish, why would it be on the rafter edges???????????????????????but I've got a funny feeling re woodworm. Don't laugh try cutting it with a carving knife hard to an edge and see if you can spot any woodworm holes the ultimate tell tale. Also you might see some fine wood dust on the floor/joists

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back