loft room/insulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Would really appreciate some advice. We have a loft room accessed via some space saving stairs so always open to the main area of the house. It is quite a handy area and therefore I'd like to make it reasonably nice and comfortable, with a decent amount of insulation.

I've stripped everything back as per the attached photo, and I've gone through a number of options:

- get rid of the (mineral?) wool insulation and replace with 75mm celotex, leaving air gap behind. Regular plasterboard and tape and join, or skim. What puts me off this idea is that it is going to be really time consuming cutting the rigid board into all of the spaces.
- keep what I have insulation wise, and use 27mm insulated plasterboard over the top. I was pretty set on this idea as this would presumably be better insulated than above, plus potentially easier. However, all of the 45 degree joins and velux reveals (for example, how would I slot the board into the groove on the velux?) which I've just thought about is making me think this might not be the best idea? I was going to get tapered boards and DIY potentially...
- keep what I have, use some form of insulating vapour barrier and regular plasterboard over the top.

Just trying to get the balance right between getting a half decent insulated room, versus making this too complicated as our house is averagely insulated overall thus makes no sense to go overkill.

Thanks

0472817E-5715-4F66-B744-7CBF0FD2A85A_1_105_c.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back