Loft: Should I lag push fit plastic pipes? Copper ones done.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've been slowly putting right a botched heating install at my cousin's place. One of the last jobs is to lag the pipes. The combi is in the loft, with a lot of exposed pipework, both copper and plastic (speed fit type). The pipes are 15 and 10 mm.

So far I have lagged the cold water feed to the boiler. I've used the foam type lagging.

Firstly, there are a couple of points on this pipe which I could not lag - the push fit joints (copper to push fit) and also the final few inches where the pipe goes into the boiler's underside - the pipe is too close to the wall and other pipes. Should these small sections be lagged? If so, how?

My second question is, should I lag the reamaining pipes? Specifically, its the flow and return CH pipes and the domestic water supply pipes. They are plastic.

I'm considering putting an extra layer of loft insulation down, which will effectively lag the pipes at the same time as they'd be covered. Sorry for the dumb question, but would there be a fire risk? I've noticed that the CH pipes get REALLY hot, so was unsure about having they sandwiched in loft insulation.

Any advice would be greatly received as I cannot find anything in the wiki / faqs or even google.

Many thanks,

KC

Sponsored Links
Firstly, there are a couple of points on this pipe which I could not lag - the push fit joints (copper to push fit) and also the final few inches where the pipe goes into the boiler's underside - the pipe is too close to the wall and other pipes. Should these small sections be lagged? If so, how?
You can use either felt wrap insulation, or the foam stuff of a gauge bigger than the nearby pipework. For example, if you have 15mm pipework into a Speedfit fitting, then use a short section of 22mm Climatube (or whatever) over the fitting, extending a few inches onto the pipework, and cable tied in place.

My second question is, should I lag the reamaining pipes? Specifically, its the flow and return CH pipes and the domestic water supply pipes. They are plastic.
Yes, although not within 1m of the boiler. Lagging the flow and return will keep the heat in, which you want to do, and lag the cold supply to the boiler to stop condensation on the pipe.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back